Wednesday, September 18, 2013

It's All in the Details....

Just wanted to talk a bit about one of my new diorama projects that was included in this photograph (and also in a recent MH photo here on the blog....)  Notably the "corkboard" you can see in this shot:

I absolutely CAN NOT take credit for this incredibly ingenious idea.  I saw something similar on someone's Etsy shop and it made my little brain spin for hours.  Just the shear genius of it.  Let's face it - dioramas are only as good as the elements that comprise them.  And while furniture is key - it's the little things that really make a good diorama stick out.  I have learned that time and again from the gifted doll photographers both here on blogspot and on Flickr.  Some of them create dioramas you would SWEAR were real living quarters.  I remain in awe every time I see some of these photographers post new photographs filled with all of the little things in life that make these photos feel - let's face it - REAL. 

Since 1/6 scale items can be so expensive, I try to draw deep from within my very shallow crafty waters to create as much content as I can.  I'm on a limited budget - but that doesn't mean I can't fill my dioramas with incredibly lifelike pieces. E.g. the corkboard (bulletin board) on the wall here.  I can't tell you how easy (and fun) this was to make.  Here's the breakdown:

I went to Michael's recently and they had (as they often do) a sale on their scrapbook pages.  And low and behold - there were sheets of cork on sale for less than $1/sheet!  I cut the piece into smaller, 1/6 scale pieces (with TONS left over for future projects) and then set to work to find items I had on hand to put on it.  Turns out, I had everything I needed right here at home!  Some time ago I found a site with 1/6 scale printables that is permanently bookmarked on my computer.  So many fun things.... I'll try to find a link and post it here.  From that page I was able to make the notebook paper and the passport hanging on the board!  Then I included a few stickers - including the clipboard, which I had purchased ages ago in the scrapbooking section of Target.  I have learned to keep my eye open for anything that can be used in 1/6 scale.  And once you open your eyes to the possibilities, you truly start to think "outside of the box."  So while the corkboard was easy to create, CHEAP, and is a very small detail in the grand scheme of things, I think it really adds a lot to the photograph. 

I love that with a little creativity and crafty thinking, the world is truly your oyster in creating 1/6 scale items that are affordable and easy to make. 

Now back to the "studio"!!!

- DollsinDystopia