Monday, September 9, 2013

Let's Talk About the Living Room...

Soooo.... time to talk about the living room.  *Sigh*  As I have learned, painting is a skill that requires some level of talent.  Even if the painting is with a can and should be pretty straightforward.  Again... *sigh*. 

First, here is the set I purchased:
It can be purchased here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0020PC97A/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not a bad deal for all the pieces you get.  These sets can be a bear to put together (especially after they have been painted).... but it's not impossible.  Well, nothing is impossible when Gorilla Glue is involved. 

Now... here is a photograph of the main pieces I was interested in totally unretouched:

Darla says "Hello!" by the way!  Big thanks to her for being such an accommodating model...

As you can see, the silver on the furniture pieces is flat looking and a bit mottled.  Yeah.  It wasn't like that this morning when I first put it all together.  But then I decided to put on a layer of "clear coat" spraypaint in the hopes of protecting the paint layers.  While that worked out okay on the red (but not great... you can see some issues there too...), it was a DISASTER for the silver.  Luckily this little endeavor did NOT extend to the lamps and centerpiece so they are still a lovely shade of silver.  Take note of the color differences though.  LESSON: LEARNED. 

But this is not a total loss.  The reason?  I heavily Photoshop my images.  I admit that wholeheartedly and without any shame at all.  :)

Here is the same image after some rendering in Photoshop CS5:

Again... not perfect.  The silver on the furnishings doesn't have that "glow" that you see on the lamps... but still useable.  And MUCH better than how they came out of the box. 

I do have the chairs (which luckily I did NOT clear coat!) but they won't go together properly so I am waiting on my partner to come home tonight and put them together for me with his hands of steel. 

All in all - not a bad set up.  Just wish I hadn't jumped the shark with that whole clear coat thing.  Let this be a warning... if it looks good, STOP THERE. 

- DollsinDystopia