Sunday, May 26, 2013

Safely Removing Stickers/Gooey Stuff from Doll Furniture - A How To

With some of the plastic doll furniture I buy, pieces will come with stickers, etc. already applied to the pieces.  Case in point (the blue hutch from this Disney set):
Note: This is not my photograph.  It's a Disney promo shot I pulled from Amazon.com.
You can't see it very well, but there are stickers (albeit cute Disney ones) inset on the back of the hutch shelves.  Since I don't have any Disney characters and I use my furniture for a wide range of dolls, I needed to get those stickers OFF.

The first step was to put warm water over the stickers and leave the hutch sitting on its back overnight.  This helps loosen up the stickers.

Next, I used this awesome tool:

The uses for a nice scraper are so vast I just can't recommend having lots of them enough.  You need various sizes because some of the larger ones won't fit in tight spaces - this one was perfect.  Very cheap - purchased as a pack (with additional plastic "blades" at Fred Meyer.)  So... I scraped until I had the stickers gone with nothing but that gooey sticker junk left behind.

Next, I used Goo Gone to remove that left behind residue.  Here is an example bottle:



 For this step in the process, I strongly recommend wearing a pair of latex (or non-latex if you have an allergy) gloves.  Anything that can remove sticker residue has to contain some pretty powerful chemicals.  You don't want them on your skin.  NOTE: I recommend using gloves and N-95 class masks when spray-painting as well - and always painting in an area with great ventilation.  Preferably outdoors and upwind. 

I let the Goo Gone sit for a few minutes (per the instructions) and then used a paper towel to get most of it off the surface.  Then I washed the hutch with soapy water to remove any lingering chemicals.

And here is the final product!

Pretty cute!  And if I were going to paint this piece (I'm not - I like the blue and the decorations on it....) it would be ready for spray painting!

- DollsinDystopia