Saturday, May 11, 2013

Spray Painting Is an Art Form

I am working on a new diorama piece right now and this has been a real learning experience.  I'm taking one of my older pieces (a pink Barbie refrigerator) and spray painting it to give it a more updated/classic look.  That is - not so hokey and pink and more like a real refrigerator.  ;o)  A very talented photographer and diorama master on Flickr advised me about Fusion spray paints and I have to say they are pretty amazing.  They are made specifically to bond to plastic.  I had no idea that spray paints were not all created equally and that very few of them actually work with plastic material.

The funny thing I am discovering is that actually getting the spray paint smoothly onto the plastic surface takes patience and skill.  So... this particular piece has been painted and sanded a few times in order for me to get it right (without lumps, running paint, and just generally looking like crap!)  I hope to be finished with it by early next week.  The body of the refrigerator is done - painted in a graphite-type, textured black.  For the doors I am going with a satin white.  Eventually I'll need to buy more kitchen pieces and paint them to match but I wanted to use this piece as a testing ground to see if I could even make this work.  So far, so good.  Hope to have some pictures up soon!